Saturday, August 29, 2009

Calls Made to Friends (part II)


I've also been realizing how much happier I am alone right now. There are so many things I need to discover and reflect on about my life. I feel the need to learn more about me. Of course that could potentially sound so selfish... but I don't know that it is really. I mean God made me who I am. He decided I should be me. No one else can be me. So there is a responsibility in that I think... to be lovingly honest and inquisitive about who I really am. I can't be and shouldn't be anyone else. I suppose this is a simple concept... and an old concept. But it's something I still have to work at.


So many people have died recently who are touchstones of our time in history. It's not that they were any more or less valuable as human beings than any other person, but at least for me, their deaths bring me to reflect on what it means to live.

My hair is growing. My natural color now completely covers my head. As I think about it... perhaps the reason my hair means so much to me right now is because I haven't had my natural color since I was 14 years old. I think I've been trying on different identities through my hair... which is fun really, at least for a while. But... I'm ready to just let it be what is really is... and I hope, with God's grace, that I will be kind enough keep it as such for a long time. :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

I mean God made me who I am. He decided I should be me. No one else can be me. So there is a responsibility in that I think... to be lovingly honest and inquisitive about who I really am. I can't be and shouldn't be anyone else.

This struck me as so beautiful and true. I need to work on this too... being who I am and not apologizing for it and not worrying that it won't be good enough for someone else. Thanks for this post!

Muirin said...

Thank you Laura. :) I'm glad it meant something to you as well. You are such a dear soul.