Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blond Hair

The other day I was waiting for a late afternoon bus in the middle of a busy city. I was on my cell phone when I noticed a man probably in his late 40's walking towards me. At first I didn't think anything of it. People notice each other all the time. Then he started to approach me. I was confused.

The expression on his face told of the drinks he had just had. He looked happy but puzzled. He got really close to me and then looked at my hair and said in an oddly apologetic tone, "I like the blond hair. I just like the blond hair. OK?!" I looked at him and couldn't help but smile at the humor in our shared moment.

"Thank you. I take that as a genuine compliment."

He looked at me in total seriousness which was comically out of place. I started to wonder where this exchange was going. Then he,with deep fervor and almost exasperation, said "I like the blond hair! OK?! I just like the blond color!"

A young man nearby started to look fidgety about his role as a spectator. I could tell he was wondering if it was his place to step in and help me out. I managed to edge away before too much trouble started.

And I giggled. A lot. But only very discretely to myself and at a safe distance.

I recently dyed my hair brown again. I don't think there's a connection...

After my run in with the rather large man I got on the bus and sipped my coffee while watching a group of teenagers. They were scary. I don't mean scary because they were obnoxious or something like that. They scared me because they were terrifying reminders of years gone by. And I was terrified, yes terrified. I thought teenagers would somehow be different than when I was their age. I have no idea what sort of a difference I was expecting... But they have pretty much the same attitudes, fears and obsessions we did. The songs they chant have changed and so have their clothes but other than that they are us... Scary. Very scary.

And by "us" and "we" I mean young adults past college but not old enough to be President of the United States.

It was while listening to this conversation that I realized how old I am getting. And that's what really scared me. Teenagers haven't changed but I have. And those memories evoked from years past are really, truly, in the past now. I knew this. I really did. But whenever you bring up how old you feel as a young adult there's usually an older adult nearby to say how young you really are. It's sort of like when you start gaining weight. At first everyone says how good you really look, but then eventually you realize no one is saying that anymore...


So I'm strongly considering going into the nursing field. It isn't as "artsy" as I originally intended my career to be. Obviously. But there are jobs in nursing... At least right now...

I can go to law school after I finish my nursing degree. And that's not a bad idea anyway...

My boyfriend is going to sell insurance. I'm going home with him for Thanksgiving... I'm going to meet his grandparents and his father. I'm scared. But also very excited... My mother is not happy. She wants me to celebrate Thanksgiving with her. When I told her I was going home with him she called to "formally invite me" to Thanksgiving with her the next day. I have no idea what she is thinking. She's never been like this. Ever. I don't know what to do with her...

And so it begins.

Yup... ... ...

No comments: